In the interests of aviation safety, aircraft at Gardermoen must be deiced in winter. The deicing fluid used consists of a mixture of hot water and propylene glycol, plus a number of additives. This is to ensure that the deicing fluid has all the properties necessary to ensure satisfaction of the flight safety requirements.
Oslo Airport currently uses the most environment-friendly deicing fluid on the market. It is not categorised as an environmental toxin. The additives make up less than 1% of the fluid and are not toxic to the environment around the airport in the quantities used. Deicing is done on winter days with snowfall, freezing rain or frost forming on the aircraft.
The deicing fluid used at Gardermoen consists of a mixture of hot water and propylene glycol. The ratio depends on the air temperature. On days where the temperature is around freezing point, the principal deicing agent is hot water, whereas on colder days, more glycol is used.
Deicing is performed on three special deicing platforms, depending on which runway and which direction the aircraft is taking off from. There are collection systems that collect excess water and deicing chemicals by all the deicing platforms and alongside the taxiways and at the start of the runways. All the chemicals that fall off the aircraft within this area are collected and treated in a variety of ways. At Oslo Airport, approx. 80 % of the deicing chemicals used are collected. The remaining 20 % are spread over the area alongside the runways or carried farther afield by the aircraft.
Deicing runways and taxiways
In winter it is necessary to deice the apron, runways and taxiways in order to ensure sufficient friction in winter conditions. Formiates (formic acid salts) are the principal deicing agent. These are organic salts that do not contain any harmful additives. The deicing fluid used at Gardermoen is the most environment-friendly product on the market. There is a special collection system in the apron and the taxiways around the Terminal Building that collects all the chemicals used in this area. The collected chemicals are taken to Gardermoen purification plant, where they are removed and treated. All the fluids used on the runways and other taxiways drain off into the ground around the runway system.
Last updated July 09, 2012